Frank Grendler is Maintenance Engineering’s all time #1 Top Sales Producer. He started selling in Iowa in 1975. Over the years he has earned the affectionate moniker “Ol’ #1”. He turned 74 last August. How did he do it? How does he still do it? What sales techniques does he use? What fundamental philosophies does he use to guide him? The answers to these questions lie partially in the “Grendlerisms” I’ve gleaned from conversations with Frank over the years. I’d like to share them with you:
1. Your year is made in the first quarter.
2. I take 3 months vacation per year.. everyone does.. They just take it 15 minutes every hour. (Some even take more)
3. I think about the 15 minutes of vacation I’m accumulating as I work each hour.
4. I don’t waste time on chitchat once I’ve determined a customer isn’t going to buy.
5. I run between field calls. (verified by trainees)
6. I give every presentation to the best of my ability.
7. I make 50 calls per day in the field.
8. When working the phone, my goal is to keep the phone by my ear.
9. I work when I’m sick.. (why would I waste a vacation day being sick?)
10. I write extra volume to cover commissions lost due to problems.
11. I take more pride in opening new accounts than repeating old accounts.
So there you have it. Simple, powerful, anyone can do them for one day…or a month, a quarter or a year! Frank does them for a career and it’s made him Maintenance Engineering’s “All time #1 “Congratulations Frank, you’re an inspiration to all that know you!