Make use of time, let not advantage slip. –William Shakespeare
Time moves for everybody whether we like it or not. The key to success is to be strategic rather than reactive to it. Through time management we can maximize our fulfillment and results we get of life and our career. Here are five tips to getting the most of your time.
1. The Big Picture – These are the big goals of your life. Know what you want out of it! What kind of person do you want to be? What lifestyle do you want to lead? How much success in your career do you want ? Having a clear picture of these will allow you to know how to allocate your time.
2. Yearly Goals- Where do you need to be at the end the year? Having clear goals that you want to attain for that year will move you forward toward your big picture goals.
3. Monthly Goals- Break down your yearly goals in to monthly goals. Know where you need to be each month. Use the end of each month as a check in point to make sure you are on track.
4. Weekly Goals.- Break down your Monthly goals into weekly ones and as with monthly goals make sure at the end of the week you are on track. Set up a rhythm for your week. Know where you want to be by Friday. Adjust your schedule if you are off track!
5. Daily Goals- Start each day thinking about what you need to do for that day to push the ball forward. Do the hardest things first! Have at least 3-4 things that will move you forward.
Focusing on what you want and NOT on what you don’t want is the key to effective time management.