PHONE…OR IN PERSON?
The phone is a powerful tool of convenience! We can call a buyer who is 30 minutes away and sell him a repeat order. We save time and pick up a nice $600 order! However, there are downsides to using the phone. Here they are:
- We aren’t updating the Buyer on the new products we have added…we’re letting them learn about new products from the Big Box Stores or the peddler selling cheap LED fixtures.
- We’re not strengthening our relationship, our friendship. Remember friends buy from friends. Is our friendship strong enough to counter a peddler’s pitch on “cheap LED’s that last forever”?
- When was the last time we did a “Lighting Survey” of the Buyer’s facility to see where else we can help them with better lighting?
- Does the Buyer think of you FIRST whenever they have a lighting question?
- When was the last time you got a lead from that Buyer on a neighboring business or Buyer’s across town that you Buyer knows?
A phone call is a powerful tool but the field call is even more powerful. Be sure to use Field Calls to cement your Buyer’s to you and be sure to use Field Calls to build your account base.
This past week Paul St Jean wrote one of his key accounts for a $78,000 order!! I asked him how he got that account. He said “It all started with a field call…I got tossed out!” He then followed that with numerous Field Calls, and numerous small orders over a 2-year period. As he built his relationship the orders grew in size…ALL FIELD ORDERS! It culminated with this large order…and the BUYER is only half relamped!
Everyone has accounts that can be developed with good service. Take a look at your accounts and ask yourself these 5 questions:
- Can I provide them better service?
- Do they know about other products I offer that would improve their lighting?
- Am I the first person they think of when they have a lighting need?
- Am I seeing them often enough in person?
- Do I deserve more of their business?
We have the best lighting product line in the world! We have the best money making opportunity in the lighting industry! All we have to do is to make sure we let every Buyer know what we have to offer!
President Curt Kesselring